Monday, December 3, 2012

Government Sticks It's Nose in the Bedroom


            In my classmate, Andrea Hrejsa’s post The Court Blog, she talks about the extremely controversial topic of same sex marriage. With only 9 states recognizing same sex marriage, legally they are the minority. This being one of the most heated topics lately leads to many people taking a stance for or against. Now “public opinion is in favor” of making it legal but the states are far behind in their legislation.
            My personal opinion on this matter is kind of torn. I think that if people want to marry someone of the same sex, who am I to tell them differently? However, it does make me uncomfortable. More and more same sex couples are on TV and rainbows are being plastered everywhere to show support of the issue. I think if that is what you want to do with your life, fine; but leave it out of mine.
            A lot of people think that this is a “bedroom issue” and the government should stay out of it and I agree to an extent. In general I think the less government intervention the better. However, if the government doesn’t take an official stance on the matter; the different laws in different states make the legal process a nightmare.
            We will just have to wait and see what the Supreme Court decides. With growing support for same sex marriage the pressure for a decision is rising. This verdict could join the ranks of controversial rulings like Roe vs. Wade, Brown vs. Board of Education, ect.

No comments:

Post a Comment